Watchguard network setup can be a bit confusing for anyone that has setup a Firebox from start to finish. A Firebox is the standard line of router and firewall units that includes important HIPAA features such as IPS or Intrusion Prevention System and logging/sending alerts notifications. It much simpler out of the box setup than a Sonicwall unit and much more robust than your home office router. Basically, I would avoid the router units that are not at least retail for $400 to purchase the equipment. These units usually come with additional security features and processing power for features like IPS so it doesn’t slow down the organization’s internet. Here’s are a series of pictures to run through the setup of the interface if you have never seen it before. We also include some Firebox optimization settings at the bottom of the post. Enjoy!!
Watchguard Network Setup Default Settings
Watchguard Firebox in the Cloud
It’s very important to register your device with the cloud URL below before you begin your Watchguard Firebox router setup.
https://login.watchguard.com/adfs/ls/ (Watchguard Cloud)
- Firebox subscription services like IPS are added and enabled through there
- Access to support is not available until you have access to watchguard.com
- Alerts and notifications for the device are not active unless you setup locally Watchguard Dimension or the easier alternative.. Watchguard Cloud.
Watchguard Network Setup Wizard
Make sure you collect information
Once setup is complete, head over to https://10.0.1.1:8080 to securing your Watchguard Firebox
Securing the Watchguard Firebox
There are several basic items to consider for securing you Watchguard network setup against intrusion. Make sure…
- IPS is enabled
- Default firewall policy is removed only after you add other ports you need. These ports are…
- hosting internal service (not likely)
- Adjust your default network ID
- Setup logging and notification services
- Add Firebox to Watchguard Cloud
It is highly recommended you change IPS to fast scan for Watchguard Firebox Intrusion Prevention System. It’s almost as effective and a lot quicker. This will improve your overall internet bandwidth for the organization.
Watchguard Network Setup & Firebox Optimization Summary
These are very basic steps for optimizing the Watchguard network setup & securing it against intruders.